The travel and tourism industry is one of the largest venues to seek employment. There are umpteen numbers of occupations within this sector, and depending upon your education level or preference you can find a rewarding job. Travel and tourism is for those who like to travel themselves a lot. If you are familiar with a particular region of the world or your country, you can aspire to become a visitor information official in a travel agency. Unlike other occupations, you can find a job anywhere around the world, and that is a major advantage to those who are planning to enter this industry.
A degree in geography will generally help you, but, it is not an absolute necessity. Within the visitor information section of travel profession there are many positions – Product Manager, Marketing Manager, Marketing Coordinator, Retail Travel Consultant, Reservation Sales Agent, Administrative Assistant and Receptionist, although this is not an exhaustive list. Depending on where you live, job titles may vary.
More about Product Managers job
- They are primarily responsible for putting together a brochure for the travel agent to sell. He or sheathers the required data on destinations and other information.
- They are responsible for negotiating rates with hotels and those who provide accommodation, transportation, cab services and other essentials services to travelers.
- To become a successful Product Manager, you must hone your negotiation skills. The better you are at it, the better you get paid. If you are multi-lingual it can help you succeed beyond your expectations.
More about Marketing Managers job
- Marketing managers must be strategic thinkers. They will be primarily responsible for creating awareness among travelers about the various products their company has to offer.
- He will also be responsible for analyzing trends and customer preferences, their spending capacities and focusing the selling effort. They will be required to have an knowledge knowledge about what people from particular regions like and do not like.
- He will be responsible for distributing brochures through a team of assistants. It helps to work as an assistant before aspiring to become a Marketing Manager. A degree of persuasive skill is a basic necessity.
- He or she must be comfortable in speaking in more than one language. Taking a short course in some foreign language usually helps to accomplish the selling task.
More about Marketing Coordinator Job
- Typically a Marketing Coordinator job is above that of a Marketing Manager, and their main function is to see that marketing is done seamlessly. They will usually have more than couple Marketing Managers under their control.
- They will be required to train Marketing Managers and the team below in understanding the company's products. They will have to provide directions to the marketing team in finding customers.
- He or she must be very creative and have a keen eye for details. They must be able to foresee changes in travelers' preferences and where they wish to travel. Usually they are also responsible for giving feedback to Product Managers for designing future travel products.
More about Retail Travel Consultants Job
- They are responsible for dealing with customers face to face and in planning their itinerary.
- They will also have to advice prospective traveler about the various options available to them to stay within a budget.
- They should be fully conversant with hotel rates, availability of rooms and accommodations. They must also be able to advise travelers on the right time to travel to a particular destination.
- They must be particularly persuasive in their approach and have good skills in managing customers. Some knowledge of travelers' psychology helps.
More about Reservation Sales Agents Job
- The come in the scene very much after a deal is concluded by the selling team. They will be responsible for arranging and booking accommodation, rail, air and road travel tickets with the transport contractors.
- Post booking, they will have to coordinate with tour guides to see that everything is moving seamlessly.
- Reservation Sales Agents are also required to keep in direct touch with resort owners and hotel managements to see that everything is moving according to a plan.
A degree in tourism or geography can help to rise in the company's hierarchy. Tourism is not a 9 to 5 activity and therefore those who are planning to take their plunge into this industry must be prepared to toil it out day and night. Post retirement, workers can choose to become travel guides or choose to start a travel consultant agency.Top